DEPARTMENT OF RENEWABLE ENERGY
1. It is our privilege that the University of Balochistan offered Renewable Energy Studies first time in the country in the year 2017. The department was inaugurated by Honorable Mr. Ahsan Iqbal, the Federal Minister for Planning, Development and Reforms on 16th August 2016.
2. Renewable energy is an emerging discipline of science and technology of present day, tuned to harness the available sources of green energy on this planet earth and developing various energy systems. Renewable energy systems are designed to take the energy resources probably the clean and green energy sources.
3. Diverse categories of energy resources can be tapped with renewable energy systems. Designing renewable energy system would require extensive knowledge of sciences probably Physics, Technologies and Engineering.
4. The most available sources of energy are solar, wind, tidal, hydel, geothermal, biofuel, nuclear and indeed hydrogen.
5. Various renewable energy systems have already been used today but require designing compatible to our environment and energy resource requirements of geographical location of the country. This is a mandatory requirement to evolve an industry to manufacture diverse energy systems. Skilled and qualified man power has now become a mandatory requirement to switch over to alternate sources of energy and save the grid electricity.
6. Solar architecture for buildings and its designing solar collectors and reflectors for heating and cooling of air/ water, solar based heating and cooling of building, solar based water pumps, solar geysers, solar refrigerators, solar ponds for Ranking cycle engine for desalination of sea water and producing electricity, photovoltaic devices to produce electricity and many other divers applications and systems utilizations like solar powers thermal stations to produce electricity have now become imperative and alternate source of energy.
7. There are many potential locations to harness both solar and wind energy; for producing electricity generally in Pakistan and especially in Balochistan. Savonius, Darrieus and many other wind turbines are commercially available to producing electricity. The costal belt in the south and the mountainous regions especially in the north west of Balochistan offer extraordinary potential to harness wind energy. Wind machines for grinding grains water pumping and for many other purposes can also be used in remote agricultural locations.
8. Hybrid energy systems like solar-wind- hydrogen, solar based bioenergy, etc. are needed to produce electricity at relatively larger scale. Hydrogen gas filled in some metals like vanadium hydride and titanium hydride serve as fuel cells for combustion engines.
9. Needless to mention, self-designed and innovated renewable energy system have to be put into use compatible with our nature resource requirements.
10. The department of renewable energy, at present, is offering BS (four years) undergraduate and MS (two years graduate) degree programmes.
Energy crisis is one of the most important issues in developing countries. The main objective is to motivate and train the students to avail the new sources of energy. The students will serve as master trainers to provide awareness about the use of renewable energy sources from energy systems and get rid of grid electricity which is expensive.
With China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), it is inevitable to have sufficient energy trained personal to safeguard the energy requirements such as the availability of electricity in every nook and corner of the country. This is why the department of Renewable Energy is essential as source to produce skilled and trained man power for fabrication, manufacturing and system development for renewable energy.
1. Hardware workshops (Mechanical/ electrical/ electronics, computer, etc.) and renewable energy laborites have already been designed.
Vocational Job Opportunities
Graduates will have the ability to plan projects and facilities for the utilization of renewable energy and to implement them while taking account of economic, political and societal concerns. Thus the curriculum is designed to enable unique career opportunities in the vocational fields of planning, innovation, invention, engineering, consultancy and investment of renewable energy. Our graduates will have ample opportunities to be absorbed in all sectors of industries, organizations, scientific institutions, non-government organizations working for energy development, and especially for diverse CPEC activities.
Department of Renewable Energy, Science Block, University of Balochistan.
Phone: +92-81-9211008, (Intercom: )